- The Brockman brief: Illusory transparency: A symptom of BEPS complexityThe inception of the OECD’s base erosion and profit shifting (BEPS) action plans was accompanied by new demands for fiscal transparency, ignoring omnipresent thorns of complexity.
- European Tax Awards 2015The Grosvenor House Hotel on London’s Park Lane was the new venue for the 11th annual European Tax Awards dinner on May 21.
- BEPS implementation in the US - Now comes the hard partWhile the OECD has political backing and momentum behind it, the organisation has no binding authority to implement legislation, so the engagement of key jurisdictions including the US will be central to the project's ultimate success. Ryan Dudley, partner at Friedman, explains why the hard yards still lie ahead.
- Canada tax lawTaxman LetterBomb taxes taxman "tax problem" "CRA problem" DioGuardi "DioGuardi tax" "tax law" "canada tax law" "canada tax problem" "tax amnesty" "canada tax amnesty" …
- Legal tax sheltersHow John LaBruzzo Wants To End Welfare Abuse www.corrupt.org How can we get more people who rely on government to have fewer children who rely on government? This was the question John …
- $95 billion US extenders package advances in SenateThe US Senate Finance Committee has this week voted 23 to 3 to approve legislation extending more than 50 expired tax breaks, including some of keen interest to large, cross-border businesses such as the research and experimentation tax credit, the subpart F active financing exception, 50% bonus depreciation for qualifying properties, and the look-through tr
- Greek bailout requires VAT reform to be implemented todayGreece’s widely-reported bailout deal hinges on the country’s politicians agreeing on a VAT reform package including several base-broadening measures today, with corporate tax also set to rise – though not as harshly as earlier thought.
- Congressional working group releases US tax reform framework; urges patent boxThe Senate Finance Committee’s international tax reform working group, chaired by Senators Rob Portman and Chuck Schumer, has released its five-pillar framework for reforming the US tax code, concentrating on frequently-debated topics including a move to a territorial tax system, but there were also surprises – for example in the strength of recommendation f